Italian Meringue Buttercream
- 3/4 cup (165g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 500g unsalted cold butter, cur into tablespoons
1. Boil 3/4 cup (165g) sugar and 1/4 cup (60ml) water over medium heat until it reaches 248° F (120°C). As it cooks begin meringue so it’s ready when syrup is done.
2. Whip egg whites with a wire whisk in a stand up mixer on high until soft peaks form. About 1-2 minutes. Sprinkles in 1/4 cup (50g) sugar. Beat.
3. Slowly pour the hot syrup into the meringue steadily with the mixer still on high.
4. Beat the frosting for 7-10 minutes until the outside if the bowl is room temperature.
5. Beat in butter by the tablespoon. The butter will deflate the frosting a bit.
6. Add in desired flavorings:
Chocolate: 1/2 cup (80g) of the BEST cocoa powder you can find and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Coconut: 1 teaspoon coconut extracts and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Coffee: 1 teaspoon espresso powder or 3-5 tablespoon strong coffee.
Butter should be cold.
Leave a Comment
- Q & A
- Kitsch-it in the Kitchen !
- Free Printables
- TOP 10