Sweet and Salty Brownies
For the filling:
1 Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Light corn syrup
½ Cup Heavy cream
1 tsp Fleur de sel
¼ Cup sour cream
For the Brownie:
1¼ Cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Dark unsweetened cocoa powder
310g Quality dark chocolate (60 to 70%), coarsely chopped
1 Cup Unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1½ Cups sugar
½ Cup firlmy packed light brown sugar
5 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp Vanilla paste
200g Walnut, coarsely chopped
- Make the caramel: In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and corn syrup with ¼ cup water, stirring them together carefully so you don’t splash the side of the pan. Cook over high heat until an instant-read thermometer reads 180° C, or until the mixture is dark amber in color (keep a close eye on the caramel at all times, as it goes form golden brown to black and burnt very quickly), 6 to 8 minutes. Remove for the heat, and slowly add the cream (carefully, it will bubble up) and the fleur de sel. Whisk in the sour cream. Set aside to cool.
- Make the Brownie: Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter sides and bottom of a 9-by-13-inches pan. Line the bottom with a parchment paper, and butter the parchment too.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Place the chocolate and butter in the bowl of the double boiler set over pan of simmering water, and stir occasionnaly until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and combines. Turn off the heat, but keep the bowl over the water of the double boiler, and add both sugars. Whisk until completely combined and remove the bowl from the pan. The mixture should be at room temperature.
- Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until just combined. Add vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage, or your brownies will be cakey.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture and the chopped walnut over the chocolate. Using a spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until there is just a trace amount of the flour mixture visible.
- Assemble the sweet & salty brownie: Pour half of the brownie mixture into the pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Drizzle about ¾ cup of the caramel sauce over the brownie layer in a zigzag pattern, taking care to make sure the caramel does not come in contact with the edges of the pan or it will burn. Use your offset spatula to spread the caramel evenly across the brownie layer. In heaping spoonfuls, scoop the rest of the brownie batter over the caramel layer. Smooth the brownie batter gently to cover the caramel layer.
- Bake the brownie for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, and check to make sure the brownies are completely done by sticking a toothpick into the center of the pan. The brownies are done when the toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool the brownies completely before cutting and serving.
The brownies can be stored, tightly wrapped at room temperature, for up to 4 days.
Brownies freeze particularly well. Wrap your brownies in 2 layers of plastic wrap. place in the freezer.
To defrost your brownies, place them in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight. Then remove from the fridge and let them sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Leave a Comment
- Q & A
- Kitsch-it in the Kitchen !
- Free Printables
- TOP 10